Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Redeemed Jewelry Cabinet

It's been a while peeps.  But I have been very busy working on a very special One and Oni...

Kennedy Denise Oni
Born March 16, 2012
6 lbs. 7 oz. 19 inches

Yeah, she's kept me quite busy!  But anyway...

....though I'm out of practice and a tad bit rusty, I decided to have a try at redeeming another piece.  The victim?  I snagged an unused armoire from one of the offices at the church a while ago.  I love the character, but just not as a big and bulky armoire. So, I took Earl [that's my skilsaw] and cut it in half.  Here is a look at what's been sitting under my carport for about 6 months. 


This is... well... was... the top of the armoire [the bottom half is being used for another project still in the works].  So after staring at it for about 30 minutes, look for inspiration as to what it could be, it finally hit me! I'm going to turn this half of an armoire into a stylish jewelry holder cabinet thingy [I make furniture...not names].  I've never done anything like this before and all I have to work with is the idea in my head and the crap around my house.  But here goes nothing!


First, I needed to clean and cut this thing.  It's originally about 2 ft deep, but for my purpose, I only needed about 4 inches.  So, it was time for Earl to do his thing once again.




I also needed to add an extra beam at the bottom to make it a little more rigid so that it would be able to support itself.  So I just cut a 4 inch piece from the scraps left over [never throw away scraps, you'll most definitely need them later].

Next, I needed to create something functional and stylish for the jewelry to hang on.  So I used two things.  First was an old screen that had fallen out of our bathroom window. I ripped it from the frame and thoroughly cleaned.  A screen can make an excellent tack board to stick your earrings into.



Then, since the screen, though functional, isn't very stylish, I decided to cover it with some extra burlap that I snatch up a few months ago [redeeming furniture causes one to adopt very slight hoarding tendencies... but I have a storage shed so there is no need to call TLC]



Then I just needed to attach the screen/burlap combo inside the cabinet.  


After a few nails and cutting off the excess, I was done!


And there it is!  A redeemed jewelry cabinet made out of half of an armoire!  Perfect for you college gals out there looking to decorate a room with a bigger piece that's also functional and full of character! And if you have a lot jewelry [unlike me] then put those babies on display!

Not bad for my first day back on the job!  Hopefully I'll find some more interesting pieces that need redeeming!

Contact me if you want this to be your very own One & Oni piece and we'll talk price.  If not, I'll just give it to my daughter :)

Until next time!


2 comments:

  1. Janetta. I'm in love with this blog. You are so talented in many different ways, my friend!

    ReplyDelete