Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Redeemed Bookshelf: Simple & Interesting

So my Granny was about to throw out this 30 year old, short bookshelf, and rightly so.  This thing was nasty.  It had been painted white, though by now, it looked a little beige. It was also coming apart.  The thing was useless.  You can see the pictures below.  The right shows how the backing was coming completely out.  Doesn't quite capture the essence of how nasty this thing was but it was bad.  Let's just say I got the Lysol out for this one.


But, regardless, the structure itself had a lot of potential.  It's made of solid wood which is always a good thing if you ask me!  It just need some TLC and a little life.  So I got out some of my supplies and did some imagining. I wanted the piece to remain simple.  It didn't need to be the focal point in a room, just an accent and perhaps a conversation piece. So with that, I wanted to keep it white.  But not boring, dirty white.  But it also need some color.  So....


I mixed green and a yellow paint that I had in my shed to create a saturated lime color.  It's something that pops, but with its location and saturation, it's also something that works well with more colors than you would think.  I only put the color on the inside backing of the bookshelf; something you don't see too often.  The outside, I cleaned and painted it back to an original white (the gross beige just wasn't working).  I also made some repairs, bringing this piece back to a functional state!  But I wasn't done yet.



What about that conversation I was talking about?  Well, I decided to let the bookshelf say something on it's own.  "Love never fails".  It's simple, but it's strong!  It's a great reminder to have in the house also!  And it's also biblical (1 Corinthians 3:18).  This is your generic "Live Laugh Love" decor from Hobby Lobby (I absolutely love Hobby Lobby by the way) and this isn't talking about a generic Love either.  It's the Love of Christ that never fails! So, if you're having company over, and this piece catches their eye and they say something like "Oh that's nice", you have a door way to share what it REALLY means and maybe even sharing the gospel.  Hey, furniture doesn't share the Gospel.  You do.  But, it's awesome to make the most of every opportunity (Ephesians 5:16) and make your house Gospel ready!



Here are some ways I may have decorated the bookcase if I were keeping it for myself!  But I'm not!
This bookshelf goes to the first person who wants it at $30.  You can't beat that with a stick.  It's solid wood and because it's a short bookshelf, it goes great in any room of the house!  It also goes great in dorm rooms and even class rooms for you teachers who want something biblical in your class but need it to be incognito and not so illegal! And what an awesome gift it would make.  It is wedding season!

I should say that I can't mail this to anyone for those of you not in the Valdosta area.  However, if you ARE in the Valdosta area, I'll deliver it for free!

So who wants this to be their One and Oni redeemed piece.  Claim it in the comment box first!


5 comments:

  1. Hey janetta, what are the dimensions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's 38" tall, 35" wide and 8" deep

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice bookshelf!!! Great job Janetta!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you deliver to VA???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to Ron & Ashley Cross for purchasing their first One & Oni Redeemed piece! Hope it fits nicely in their new place!

    ReplyDelete