Thursday, June 16, 2011

Redeemed Wood Pallets: Hiding the trash

It all started with some wood pallets that needed to be something other than... well, wood pallets.  Taking them apart isn't easy either, especially in this South Georgia heat.  That's about 2 hours worth of "grunt work" as I call it.  



Then it was time to start constructing my little project.  But at first I didn't have any saw horses to make my cuts, so I improvised.  I got a few later.

Now that I have some evenly cut boards, let's start putting this "thing" together.


Now it's time to do some painting.  I needed to do two layers of paint to get the aged, distressed look I was going for.  The first layer is a white, but not just any white.  I needed a dirty white.  So I stirred in a little walnut wood stain.  This gave the paint a very oily texture and allowed it to soak into the wood a little.




While that was drying, I added some hinges for the door.  That's right, there's a door!



Time for the next color. I went with one of my favorites, slate blue!

This door of mine need a knob!


Then I needed to label it appropriately.



I added the front, sanded it down, and behold, I have a trash can holder, perfect for any 13 gallon trash can or hamper!






So you can get with this....


Or you can get with that!



Look, it really pains me to give this away because, well it looks awesome in my kitchen and I've been wanting one of these for a long time now.  But I'll sell it to the first person who wants it for $40.  Great as a trash can holder or hamper!

2 comments: